Mount Paran Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1930 under the leadership of Rev. E. D. Robinson with fourteen members. It humbly began in an old, wooden house on the 1400 block of Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive. The very first offering of $6.25 was collected from those early members. The first auxiliaries were the Sunday School, Mission Department, and the Senior Usher Board.
Our church has had four name changes. They include the Lakeside Baptist Church, the First Colored Baptist Church, Mount Paran Baptist Church, and Mount Paran Missionary Baptist Church. It has been rebuilt and relocated numerous times. The last relocation and construction occurred in 1990 under the vision of Pastor C. L. Pennywell.
Since its organization in 1930 by the early pioneers, Mount Paran’s history has thrived under the leadership of six pastors. They are Rev. E. D. Robinson, Rev. Johnny Young, Rev. L. W. Reed, Rev. C. L. Pennywell, Rev. Lonnie L. Moore, Jr. and Rev. Everett L. Hall.